After you have completed basic testing with a Developer or Sandbox account, it is critical to test with few real live transactions prior to going live with Chargent.
This is because not all features can be fully tested with test transactions, even if you are following along with your payment gateway’s recommended tests and expected responses. For example, address verification (AVS) settings cannot be fully tested on most payment gateways, so transactions that were approved in test could be declined when live. Many gateway test environments also do not behave the same as live when it comes to things like fraud filters, refunds, and more. It is best to work any issues out before going live.
To test live transactions prior to going live: #
- Use your own credit card or a company credit card
- Charge a small amount, such as $1 or $5
- Go to the created Transaction record afterwards
- Click the Void button
- If voided the same day, the transaction will not settle, and should not appear on your statement or deduct funds from your account
- Live transactions will incur per transaction fees (typically 10 to 30 cents/transaction).
If you are looking to test live transactions in your Salesforce Sandbox account, you will need to add the Endpoint Override to your Gateway setup. Developer account’s you just need to uncheck the Test Endpoint checkbox. For the correct Endpoint override you can view our documentation for your specific Payment Gateway or contact your gateway for this information.
For more information on testing phases, parallel systems, and contingency plans, please see our guide: Testing Salesforce Financial and Billing Systems