Payment Requests and Console
Chargent gives you a number of interfaces for controlling payments inside Salesforce.
- Payment Request enables you to send links to your customers so they can securely enter their payment details online
- Payment Console gives you a popup window for entering credit card or bank payment details while on the phone with your customer
- Chargent Anywhere ties together both Payment Request and Payment Console, enabling them to be accessed from anywhere in Salesforce, as well as making Recurring Billing setup easier.
Chargent Anywhere allows you to process payments from any object in Salesforce. The Chargent Anywhere component contains four buttons.
- Send Pay Request - Allows you to send an email with a URL to a secure payment page
- Payment Console - Allows you to enter credit card information in a secure manner and either process one time payment or setup recurring billing.
- Add Cash - Allows you to create a transaction record for a cash entry (does not get sent to your payment gateway).
- Add Check - allows you to create a transaction record for a paper check entry (does not get sent to your payment gateway).
Using Chargent Anywhere with Payment Console and tokenization you reduce the scope of PCI Compliance by never storing sensitive credit card or bank account number information in Salesforce.
For an overview of configuring Chargent Anywhere, Payment Requests, and Payment Console, check out the following video.
For setting up and customizing Chargent Anywhere, check out our Chargent Anywhere Quick Start Guide for Chargent Anywhere
Also check out the Chargent Anywhere User Guide for Chargent Anywhere.
Chargent Payment Console Documentation
- How Payment Console Works:
- Activation Key:
- Using the Payment Console
- Customizing the Payment Console
- Subscription to Chargent Platform Edition or higher
- Chargent Anywhere installed & Configured in Lightning
AppFrontier always strives to provide features that lower the scope of your PCI compliance. Chargent's Payment Console with tokenization can further reduce your PCI scope by allowing secure entry of payment information via the phone, protecting cardholder data that is never stored in your Salesforce database.
Chargent’s Payment Console feature allows you to process one time payments and set up recurring payments, directly from a Salesforce popup window. This makes it a convenient interface for call center agents, customer service, billing or sales teams since it is able to initiate payments, receive tokens back from the payment gateway, and create transaction records in Salesforce.
Most importantly, with the Payment Console feature, transactions and tokens are created without ever saving or storing cardholder account number information in Salesforce. This helps you reduce the scope of your PCI Compliance.
How Payment Console Works:
When a user clicks the Payment Console button in Chargent Anywhere, they will see a popup prompting you to enter the billing address and payment data. You will be able to select what payment method you want to use in order to process a one time payment or setup a recurring payment schedule.
When you set up your Payment Gateway using the Chargent Setup Wizard, you are prompted to set up the Payment Console. When you select ‘Yes’, an email is sent on your behalf requesting an Activation Key. Once you receive the Activation Key you will need to enter it into Salesforce.
You can enter your Activation Key by navigating to Chargent Settings and selecting the Chargent Feature Activation tab. You will also be able to request an activation key if you didn’t request it during the gateway setup.
- Click the [App Launcher] in the top left corner and select [Chargent app].
- Click [Chargent Settings] and the sub tab for [Chargent Feature Activation].
- Copy and Paste the Activation Key and click [Save].
If you chose to add Payment Console the initial setup of your payment gateway, you have already selected the buttons you want to display along with the types of credit cards you accept, and the payment methods. You can update these settings through your Gateway record to enable or disable specific features.
Payment Console configuration options are divided into several fields in the Gateway record:
- Available Card Types: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, etc...
- Available Payment Methods: Credit Cards, and/or Bank Account (ACH, echeck, Direct Debit)
- Payment Buttons: Authorize, Charge, Update Token
- Require CVV: This setting will require the CVV / CVV2 Security Code in the Payment Console. This is the 3 digit code on the back of the credit card. It will be either 3 digits for Visa / MasterCard or 4 digits for American Express.
For more information regarding your Payment Gateway settings, please check out the documentation specific to your gateway.
Using the Payment Console
When you have Chargent Anywhere installed on your Page Layout you will see the button to access the Payment Console.
When you click on the [Payment Console] button you will be prompted to enter the Billing Address.
When you click [Continue] you will have the option to select the Payment Method and choose whether you want to do a one time payment, a recurring payment, or a combination of both (one time payment with recurring payments).
This is the payment method (Credit Card of ACH) you configured in the previous section or when setting up your gateway using the Chargent Setup Wizard.
Card: Credit Card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, etc…). Chargent works with all major credit cards.
Bank Account: This can be either a Checking or Savings account. Bank Account also refers to ACH, eCheck, Direct Debit
One Time: This indicates that you are looking to process a one time payment.
Recurring: This will allow you to process a one time payment and set up a recurring billing schedule.
Setting Up A Recurring Schedule
When you choose Recurring, you will be prompted to set up your recurring schedule.
Required fields for Recurring Billing
- Payment Start Date
Optional fields for Recurring Billing
- Fixed Day of the Month to Charge
- Stop Rule allows you to set when the recurring schedule should end.
- Date: Recurring Billing schedule ends on a specific date. This requires you to set the Payment End Date field
- Count: Recurring Billing schedule ends after a specific number of transactions. This requires you to set the Number of Payments field.
- Balance Due: Recurring Billing schedule ends once the balance has been met.
- Unending: Recurring Billing schedule continues until you change the status to Stopped.
Clicking [Next] will bring you to the Preview page where you will see the payment schedule. You should verify that the Frequency, Amount, and the schedule is correct. Once everything looks good you can click the button [Charge One Time Amount and Start Recurring Billing].
Customizing the Payment Console
Note: Chargent Anywhere should already be set up and configured to customize the Payment Console.
Once you have the configuration done and Payment Console working, you can now customize the Chargent Anywhere Component. You can set the defaults for the following items (please note, some may require custom fields to be added prior)
There are several items that can be setup to pre-populate in Chargent Anywhere.
- Gateway - Assign a specific gateway to be populated automatically when you process a transaction.
- Default Charge Amount - If you have a specific amount that you want to charge every time, you can automatically populate this based on a specific field.
- Default Recurring Amount - Similar to the Default Charge Amount, if you have a specific recurring amount to be processed in your scheduled payments, you can set this as a default based on the field on the record.
- Account - The Account is usually already set on the record however this field can also be set to default when processing payments using the Payment Console.
- Contact - Allows you to select the contact on the record you are processing the transaction from. This will automatically populate to the Payment Console along with this contacts address for billing.
For the above items you will need to add custom fields to the Page Layout in order for these to populate.
- Account and Contact, you would want to do a Lookup field.
- Charge Amount and Recurring Amount you want to do a currency field.
- Gateway you need the Gateway record ID
Create Custom Fields
- Click the [gear icon] and choose [Setup]
- Under [Objects & Fields] select [Object Manager]
- Choose the Object you have Chargent Anywhere installed
- Click [Fields & Relationships]
- Choose [New] and go through the setup for custom fields
When you create your custom fields it will give you a Field Name which you will use to configure the Chargent Anywhere LWC.
Configure Default Settings
- Navigate to a record on the object with Chargent Anywhere.
- Click the [gear icon] and select [Edit Page]
- Select the Chargent Anywhere Lightning Component.
- Add the field names and record ID where specified.
- Click Activate and Save.
Gateway ID: You can get the Gateway ID from the URL on the Gateway record.
Additional Items to configure:
- Show / Hide Remove Buttons: Allows you to display or remove buttons from your Chargent Anywhere Console. This includes Payment Request, Payment Console, Add Cash, and Add Check buttons.
- Change the name of the Charge button: This allows you to modify the button name to whatever suits your organization best.
Account Updater is a Scheduled Apex batch which checks the Credit Card Expiration Date fields on the Chargent Order Transaction package. Credit Cards that are expiring this month (or are already expired when the batch runs) are sent update notifications.
Please note that many Payment Gateways offer Account Updater services as well. These work without the cardholder needing to make any update, by updating the card on file related to the token stored in Salesforce.
Account Updater is based on Chargent's Payment Request feature, and works similarly, but simply stores updated billing information without processing a payment. An email notification is sent to customers with expired or expiring cards, with a link that takes them to a self-service hosted payment page.
Hosted on your own Salesforce Site, the payment page features a brandable, secure credit card form, where your customers enter their payment information. A customer's billing address is already populated on the form, and they can update it if they wish, along with providing new credit card details. Those values are automatically updated into the associated Salesforce Chargent Order record. This saves time in tracking down customers to provide updated credit card information.
For complete details and setup of Account Updater, check out our Account Updater documentation page.