Installation & Setup:
The following items are required to use Chargent Payment Processing:
- Salesforce Enterprise or Performance / Unlimited Edition
- Please note that Chargent uses Workflow Rules and Scheduled Apex jobs and therefore will currently work with the Enterprise, Performance, Unlimited, and Developer editions of Salesforce. Person accounts will also work with Chargent but will require some modifications to your Salesforce Org to use some features.
To take advantage of Chargent's functionality, you will be able to populate billing and payment details from any object in Salesforce including Chargent’s custom object Chargent Orders.
You can install Chargent for the first time, or upgrade a current Chargent installation, through the links on our Installation page. We recommend always installing from this page, as it will have the latest software recommended for your Salesforce org.
Workflow Rule Limitations
Chargent includes 10 workflow rules to automatically update totals and other field values after transactions occur. There are also Workflows to automate email receipts.
As there is a limit of 50 active rules per Salesforce org, if you exceed that limit you may need to deactivate some rules in order to install Chargent. You may also contact Salesforce to request they raise your maximum workflow rules to 300, though the use of the Process Builder is recommended instead.
The first thing you should do after installation in a production Salesforce org is assign your Chargent licenses to your users. Our Sites Edition installation includes 20 users but you can purchase additional licenses as needed. Users who do not have a Chargent license assigned will not have access to Chargent objects, fields, tabs or related data.
- Click on gear icon and select Setup
- Under Apps select Installed Packages
- Beside Chargent Orders, click Manage Licenses.
- Assign a license to all users who need to access Chargent
Using the Gateway Setup Wizard
Note: The Chargent Gateway Wizard is available in Chargent 5.50 and later versions.
After installing both Chargent Base and Chargent Transaction packages and assigning your users, you should set up the connection to your payment gateway. AppFrontier integrates with over 30 payment gateways.
Setup your Gateway using the Chargent Setup Wizard.
- Click on the AppLauncher on the top left side in Salesforce.
- Select Chargent as the App
- Select the Chargent Settings Tab
- Choose Chargent Setup Wizard
- Follow the prompts to configure your gateway
You will need the following information to configure the gateway:
- What Gateway you will be using
- Test Login / Live Login credentials - (If you are looking to do live tests from your Salesforce Sandbox you will need to also use the Endpoint Override URL)
- Will you be using Tokenization (recommended)
- What currency will you be using
- What Payment Methods will you be accepting?
Gateway Wizard Errors
If you receive an error message stating "Credentials you provided are not valid. Please check and try again." this means one of these things:
- Your gateway credentials are invalid or expired, please check them again.
- You are using test credentials setting up a live gateway.
- You are using live credentials setting up a test gateway.
- The Remote Site Settings for your payment gateway are not active. Go to Setup > Remote Site Settings, locate the URL(s) related to your gateway, and make sure the Active checkbox is checked.
Manual Gateway Setup (prior to v5.40)
Please note: Manual gateway setup applies to installed Chargent versions earlier than 5.40.
NOTE: In Salesforce you will need to make sure the Remote Site Setting of the gateway you are going to use is Active. If it is already active then you can skip this step.
- Click the gear icon on the top right and choose Setup
- In the search window enter Remote Site and click on the Remote Site Settings option
- Find the payment gateway you are going to use and click Edit
- Check the box that says Active next to all remote sites for that gateway
- Click Save
For more details on setting up the Remote Sites please see your specific Gateway Documentation
- Click on the AppLauncher In Salesforce
- Search and click on for Gateways
- Click New
- You will need to map the following fields in your Gateway setup with your credentials from your gateway that correspond to Chargent’s Gateway fields (note some gateways only use 2 or 3 of the 4 fields).
- Merchant ID
- Merchant Security Key
- Merchant Reference
- Transaction Security Key
(ex: the Merchant ID field in Salesforce for Authorize.net would be the Authorize.net API Login ID).
Gateways and Guides
Merchant Security Key
Transaction Security Key
|AstroPay||Web Pay Status Merchant Id||Secret Key||Web Pay Status Merchant Password||N/A|
|Authorize.net||Setup Guide||API Login ID||Transaction Key||N/A||N/A|
|Linked2pay||Setup Guide||Login Name||Web Services Key||N/A||Virtual Terminal name|
|Barclaycard ePDQ||ePDQ PSPID||Password||UserID (of API user)||N/A|
|BluePay||Setup Guide||Account ID||Secret Key||N/A||N/A|
|BlueSnap||Setup Guide||API Username||API Password||N/A||N/A|
|Braintree||Setup Guide||Merchant ID||Private Key||Public Key||N/A|
|Chase Paymentech||Setup Guide||Web Pay Status Merchant Id||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Cybersource||Setup Guide||Merchant ID||Merchant Admin Password||N/A||Transaction Security Key|
|eProcessing Network||Account Number||RestrictKey||N/A||N/A|
|eWAY||Setup Guide||API Key||Password||N/A||N/A|
|Ezidebit||Setup Guide||Digital Key||Digital Key||N/A||N/A|
|Fat Zebra||Setup Guide||User ID||Password||N/A||N/A|
|Forte||Setup Guide||Account ID||Location ID||API Key||Secure transaction Key|
|iATS Payments||Setup Guide||User ID (Agent Code)||Password||N/A||N/A|
|Merchant e-Solutions||Setup Guide||Profile ID||Profile Key||N/A||N/A|
|Merchant Warrior||Setup Guide||UUID||API Key||API Passphrase||N/A|
|ModusLink||Setup Guide||User ID||Password||Entity ID||N/A|
|Moneris||Setup Guide||Store ID||API Key||N/A||N/A|
|PayPal Payflow Pro||Setup Guide||Merchant Login||Password||Partner||N/A|
|Paysafe (formerly Optimal Netbanx)||Setup Guide||Account Number||Store Pwd||Store ID||N/A|
|PayU Latam||Merchant ID||API Key||API Login (& Account ID in Username field)||N/A|
|Realex Payments||Setup Guide||Merchant ID||Shared Secret and Refund Password, merged by a "@" symbol. Example: secret@refund||N/A||N/A|
|Stripe||Setup Guide||(test or live) Secret Key||(test or live) Secret Key||N/A||N/A|
|Worldpay (Vantiv / Litle)||Setup Guide||Username||Password||Merchant ID||N/A|
- Setup the following Gateway fields
- Check the Active box - To make the Gateway active
- Use Tokenization - If you are planning on using tokens (recommended)
- Available Card Types - Select the cards you will be accepting (this is based on your gateway settings and what card types they can process - Visa, MasterCard, American Express, etc..)
- Available Payment Methods - Will you be accepting just Credit Cards or ACH (also known as electronic check, e-check, or direct debit)
- Available Currencies - What currencies will you accept (this is based on your payment gateway and the currencies they accept payment in.
- Credit Card / Bank Account Data Handling - This lets Chargent know when to clear the information in Salesforce. You have 4 options.
- Never Clear
- Clear After Successful Charge
- Clear After All Transactions
- Clear When Token is Present (recommended)
When using Payment Requests or Payment Console the following should also be set.
- Available PR Transaction Types
- Charge Full Amount - Charges the credit card immediately
- Authorize Full Amount - This option won’t charge the card but only holds the funds available until you charge the card.
- Authorize Minimum Amount - This option won’t charge the card but only holds the minimum amount that your gateway will allow. You will need to charge the correct amount in order to capture the transaction.
- Show Charge Button
- Show Authorize Button
For more information on testing and test card numbers for each gateway, please refer to the linked Gateway guides in the table above, and see our Testing Chargent section below.
If your gateway is not listed it may be supported via the Authorize.net emulator. Please see our list of supported gateways on our Gateways page. If your gateway is supported using the Authorize.net emulator you will want to also make sure the endpoint override is added to the Remote Site settings.
- Click the gear icon and choose Setup in Salesforce
- In the search window enter Remote Site
- Click the New Remote Site button on the top
- Enter the following
- Remote Site Name (this is generally your gateway name)
- Remote Site URL (this is the Endpoint Override you would have used in setting up your gateway).
Active: Enables a Gateway record to be used, in the same way that other parts of Salesforce have an Active checkbox. You may wish to have multiple gateway records, especially if you have a separate test account, and keep some deactivated.
Test Endpoint: Test Endpoint sends transactions to a separate test server or sandbox environment, which cannot be used for live transactions. We recommend testing with Test Endpoint checked and your test credentials, until you are ready to capture live transactions.
Endpoint Override: This field enables you to enter a custom URL to send transactions to. It is primarily used for payment gateways that run Authorize.net emulation on their own server URLs. It is also required if you want to send live transactions from a Salesforce sandbox account, as a final step in your testing. For security purposes, Chargent sends all transactions to the test account from Salesforce sandboxes, regardless of whether "Test Endpoint" is checked or not. Note that for Endpoint Override to work, the domain must be added under Salesforce's Remote Site Settings first.
Debug: Debug can be useful for troubleshooting and verifying the values being sent to the payment gateway, but should only be enabled temporarily. It displays the complete XML or HTTPS request that is being sent to the server and response strings in the popup window when you click the appropriate button on your screen (Charge, Authorize, etc.). Note: This feature should only be used by System Administrators or trusted users as it may contain decrypted payment data!
Require AVS: prevents the transaction from being submitted to the gateway without billing address fields being populated. Generally AVS settings are controlled through your payment gateway, but this will prevent Chargent from sending the transactions at all if the address data is not present in Salesforce.
Require Card Security Code: The Card Security Code (CSC, or CVC) is required when processing a charge using the Charge button. When you charge a transaction you will have a pop-up requesting a CVC code. If the Require Card Security Code is checked, then you must enter in a CVC in the pop-up otherwise you will receive a message saying it’s required.
Note: This is only when using the Charge button and does not affect Recurring Billing.
Use Tokenization: should be checked in gateways that support it if you wish to use stored tokens. If checkbox is unchecked, credit card numbers will be used for transactions.
Accounting Seed Integration: enables the integration with the Accounting Seed accounting software for Salesforce when checked.
Gateway Response: Stores the entire response from the gateway. The same data that debug mode shows in a popup, but the credentials and credit card data is masked.
Credit Card Handling: Allows you to choose if/how credit card data is stored in different scenarios. For PCI Compliance reasons, many customers do not wish to store credit card data. The options are as follows:
- Never Clear: Chargent will not remove any card data automatically.
- Clear After Successful Charge: Chargent will clear the credit card number, expiration dates and card security code only after a successful charge is run.
- Clear After All Transactions: The credit card number, expiration date and card security code will be erased after any transaction (Charge, Void, Refund)
- Clear When Token Present: Only when a token is present in the token field, will the credit card number, expiration date and card security code be cleared. (Recommended)
Chargent supports multiple active gateways. If only one gateway is active, it will be used for each payment transaction. With multiple gateways active, you will need to populate the Gateway lookup field with the desired gateway record for each Chargent Order record..
Many customers use Chargent's multiple gateway functionality to keep payments for different business entities separate while using a single Salesforce account, or for supporting multiple geographies / currencies that might require multiple payment gateways.
Chargent Settings Tab
The Chargent Settings tab contains links to help documentation, access to Chargent Custom Settings, and more. There are 7 sub-tabs available in the Chargent Settings tab:
- Chargent Help
- Chargent Feature Activation
- Advanced Settings
- Troubleshooting Tools
- CyberSource Custom Mapping
- PCI Compliance tools
- Chargent Setup Wizard
This page contains links to Chargent installation and documentation pages on the AppFrontier.com site.
Chargent Feature Activation
On this page, you can request access to premium features of Chargent, as well as enter any license keys provided to you by the AppFrontier team. Some premium features come with Platform Edition only.
- Chargent Admin Email Address - Enter the system administrator's email address. If there are unresolved errors with any transactions, this email address will receive a notification.
- Copy Billing Address from Account - Check this box to have Chargent's Billing Address fields in the Chargent Order automatically populated from the Billing Address fields in the related account.
- Note that this only works if all Billing Address fields are empty on the Chargent Order, and Billing Address fields are populated on the related Account.
- Automatically Create PR Record: If you have the Payment Request feature you can check this box which will create a Payment Request record for all new Chargent Orders that are created. DO NOT ENABLE this feature prior to activation and configuration of the Payment Request feature.
- Accept e-check: Check this box if you are going to accept ACH (electronic checks / direct debit). Make sure you have the electronic check options setup in your payment gateway as well.
This tab contains several automated testing tools, which can help Chargent support or your administrator diagnose any Salesforce validation rule conflicts or other issues. You can test the insertion of transaction records, or master records, as well as IP addresses.
Cybersource Custom Mapping
Chargent's CyberSource Custom Mapping feature allows to you send values from almost any fields on the Chargent Order object to the CyberSource gateway using CyberSource’s Merchant Defined Data fields.
The feature is purely optional and not required for processing CyberSource payments. It is designed to send up to 20 fields in a request. Any field on the Chargent Order can be selected - both fields from the Chargent package or any custom field.
PCI Compliance Tools
The PCI Compliance Tool will check your current instance of Chargent to determine if you are on the most PCI Compliant version of our app. If you are on a version of Chargent prior to 5.20, you should upgrade your Chargent package using these PCI Compliance tools.
Chargent Setup Wizard
Chargent integrates directly with over 30 payment gateways and allows the use of the Authorize.net emulator to integrate many additional gateways. We have made it easy for you to setup your gateway using our Chargent Setup Wizard. The Wizard tool guides you through the setup step by step, and validates your credentials during the process. Here are a few things that you will need to know.
- Login credentials for your payment gateway.
- Will you be using Tokenization (Recommended)
- What currency will you be accepting
- What types of credit cards will you be accepting
- Will you be accepting both credit cards and ACH (electronic checks / direct debit)
Connecting Chargent Orders to other Objects
When a transaction processes via the Chargent Anywhere feature, it creates a Chargent Order record. You should add the Chargent Order as a Related item to the object that has Chargent Anywhere installed.
For example, you install Chargent Anywhere on your Opportunity object and now want to Have a Related item for the Chargent Order You will want to create a Lookup field on the Opportunity object and then add it to the Page Layout.
Instructions from the Chargent Orders with Opportunities Guide can be followed to relate Chargent Orders to other standard or custom objects in Salesforce.