Quick Start GuideV1.0 April 23rd, 2020
What is Automated Collections?
Chargent Automated Collections is an add-on module that automatically communicates with customers, letting them know that they’ve missed a payment. This feature provides them with a Payment Request link that allows them to update their payment information and get their account back in good standing.
Automated Collections also allows you to automatically retry collecting payments based on the schedule and logic that you choose. It takes minutes to configure and activate. Once activated, there’s no more need to spend time sending emails and making phone calls to collect on late payments.
- Chargent Base and Transaction Packages version 5.85 or newer installed
- Chargent configured with active gateway
- Payment Request is already configured
- The Automated Collections feature is activated (subscription required)
Enabling Automated Collections
- Click the App Launcher and select the Chargent App
- Click the “Chargent Settings” tab and select the “Chargent Automated Collections” subtab
- Toggle the Automated Collections switch to Enabled
Add Your Failed Payment Stages
There are two things that need to be set in order to set up each stage of Automated Collections
- Email Template: The email you want to send for each stage
- Retry Options: How long after the failed payment you want Chargent to automatically retry charging the card or bank account on file
If you already have an Email Template setup for this stage you can select it from the drop down menu then select the Retry Option based on the sequence.
Add / Edit Email Template
You can add new email templates or modify existing templates in order to customize your automated messages. Email templates are sent based on your Retry Options and should coincide with the sequence. For example, the first email may just be a reminder that a payment was missed, whereas the 3rd email may be a final attempt for payment before deactivation or termination.
When creating the new template, you will need to provide the following:
- Email Template Name - a name to identify the template
- Description (optional) - a brief description of what the template should accomplish
- Subject Line for the email - something to catch their attention
- Email Body - what the template for this stage should say.
Be sure to click the [Save] button when you are finished setting up your Email Templates and Retry Options
In the “Advanced Settings” tab, you will have additional options for customizing your Automated Collections setup. You can control both the ‘Automated Collections Batch Chunk Size’ and the ‘Expiration Time in Hours’.
- Automated Collections Batch Chunk Size: This tells Salesforce how many records to batch. If you have 120 records, and this is set to 30, then you will have 4 batches of 30 records each.
- Automated Collections Expiration Time in Hours: This setting tells when to expire the completed Automated Collections Records, and also when they should be deleted.
How Automated Collections Works
When you enable Automated Collections and set up your stages above, the batch will run daily and look for failed payments. If a failed payment is detected, the Payment Status field of the Chargent Order record will change from ‘Recurring’ to ‘Automated Collections’ and begins the automated collections process.
Note: If the Payment Status updates to Error, you want to make sure that Automated Collections is enabled and you have at least one stage setup to be automated.
The transaction will be attempted based on the “Retry Options” you’ve chosen for each stage, and the automated collection email templates will be sent each time those retries fail.. Each time an Order record has the Payment Status of “Automated Collections,” a Chargent Automated Collections record is created along with a Chargent Automated Collections Stages record for each upcoming retry attempt.
When a successful Payment is made, all unused Chargent Automated Collections Stage records are deleted, and the used records are subsequently deleted based on the “Automated Collections Expiration Time in Hours” field in the “Advanced Settings” tab.
The Payment Status is automatically set back to Recurring in order to process all future payments as normal.
Example of an Automated Collection flow
Failed Payment #1
Email Template: Automated Collections Payment Request. This indicates to the customers that their payment failed and provides them with a link to update the payment information and re-submit the payment.
Retry Option: 3 Days After. This means that Chargent will try to charge the payment device on file 3 days after the initial declined payment.
Failed Payment #2
Email Template: An email explaining that the payment failed recently, and that you’ve recently sent a payment link they may use to correct the issue. This email can provide contact information for your billing department, as well as any next steps your customer should take to resolve this matter.
Retry Option: Day of The Month, 1 or 16. This retry will occur the day after most people receive their paycheck, and may have a better chance of success if the reason for the original decline was insufficient funds.
Failed Payment #3
Email Template: An email explaining to your customer that you’ve attempted to collect payment unsuccessfully, and that their subscription or service will be suspended (depending on your policy).
Looking for more information on Automated Collections? Check out our Automated Collections Page and our documentation.